Law of Ukraine
"On the Principles of Domestic and Foreign Policy"
Date of entry into force:
20 July, 2010
The Law determines the principles of the domestic policy of Ukraine in the spheres of statehood development, development of local self-government and stimulating development of the regions, creation of civic institutions, national security and defense, in the economic, social and humanitarian spheres, in the environmental sphere and the sphere of technogenic safety, as well as the principles of the foreign policy of Ukraine.
According to Article 2 of the Law, the domestic policy is based on the following principles:
- top priority of the protection of national interests;
- supremacy of law, ensuring exercising of the rights and freedoms of a person and a citizen, respect of the dignity of each person;
- equality of all holders of property rights before the law, protection of competition in the field of economic activity;
- exercising state power based on the principle of its division into legislative, executive and judicial;
- openness and transparency of the decision preparation and decision-making processes by the bodies of state power and local self-government;
- ensuring sustainable development of the economy based on market principles, and the social orientation of the economy;
- ensuring a balance of state, regional and local interests;
- freedom, social equality and creative self-actualization, citizen participation in the management of state and social affairs;
- social partnership and civic solidarity.
The foreign policy is based on the following principles:
- sovereign equality of the states;
- refraining from threats of force or the use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any foreign state;
- respect for the territorial integrity of foreign states and the inviolability of state borders;
- resolving international disputes by peaceful means;
- respect for human rights and fundamental personal freedoms;
- non-interference in the internal affairs of the states;
- mutually beneficial cooperation between the states;
- conscientious fulfillment of the undertaken international obligations;
- priority of the generally accepted norms and principles of international law above the norms and principles of national law;
- use of the Armed Forces of Ukraine only in cases of acts of armed aggression against Ukraine.
Article 7 of the Law determines that the main principles of domestic policy in the economic sphere are:
- ensuring competitiveness of the national economy, reaching high economic growth rates, ensuring macroeconomic stability and low inflation rates;
- developing the domestic market, increasing its functioning efficiency, improving the mechanisms for state regulation, ensuring a balance of supply and demand in specific markets;
- minimization of the shadow economy, creating favorable conditions for the work of economic agents in the legitimate legal field;
- exercising a coordinated anti-inflation policy, ensuring price and currency exchange rate stability, etc.
The main principles of domestic policy in the social sphere, according to Article 8 of the Law, are:
- ensuring the citizen rights and freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution of Ukraine, based on implementing European social security standards, improving the quality of social services;
- providing citizens with social guarantees over the course of their entire lives, based on improving the social standard and benefit systems;
- achieving effective demographic development;
- improving social security of children, establishing a morally and physically healthy, provided for and socially healthy family, etc.
According to Article 11 of the Law, Ukraine, being a European non-aligned state, exercises an open foreign policy and strives for cooperation with all interested partners, avoiding depending on specific states, groups of states or international structures.
Determining and exercising the principles of the domestic and foreign policy is done through close cooperation and coordination of efforts by the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, the President of Ukraine, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, the ministries, and other central and local bodies of executive power, aimed in the appropriate direction (Article 12 of the Law).
According to Article 13 of the Law, monitoring the adherence to the principles of the domestic and foreign policy is carried out by the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, the President of Ukraine, the Council for National Security and Defense of Ukraine, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, and other bodies of state power within the scope of their authority, as determined by the Constitution and the Laws of Ukraine.